name Eden Gardens, which is now synonymous with the large stadium that
stands there, was once characterized by its lush greenery, the view of
the river and open fields around it. Once upon a time, it was a place
where one could commune very closely with nature. The park was built in
1877 by Sir Asley Eden, Lieutenant Governor of Bengal who named it after
his two twin daughters. The elite of Kolkata in those days often visited
the riverside at this spot where they alighted from their carriages. Today
it has been mostly swallowed up by the modern stadium and sports complex
and other concrete buildings that have sprouted up in the name of progress.
But all is not lost. The state government has decided to reconstruct a
modern substitute from what is left of the original Burmese Pagoda at
the Eden Gardens, which is about 150 years old. The Pagoda was brought
from Burma by Lord Dalhousie in the year 1854, as a souvenir of the conquest
of Myanmar. In later years, the wooden structure mostly rotted away.
Other ornate Victorian fountains, lamp posts and statues also adorn various
corners of the park that exists today. There are people in charge of maintenance
who tend the lawns and gardens but it no longer enjoys the popularity
of the past chiefly because the river view has been blocked by the modern
constructions by the riverside.
Administrative and Judicial
Meeting Places and Old Neighbourhoods
Museums and Monuments
Sports Arena and Clubs